It is important to create a series of lesson plans that is easily accessible to all classrooms. Reflecting on all the details that were carefully designed into the memorial was really powerful. The tour itself was an experience. How can we make this personal to our students? Here are a few suggestions…
How do we introduce the memorial to the students?
- Show interviews to the students
- Have students read the writings on the memorial wall
- Give a brief introduction on the significance of memorials, what they mean, and what they stand for
How do we give our students the most impactful experience while at the memorial?
- Create a reflective guided tour
- Have students pick a quote they feel is most powerful and explain why
- Integrate group activities (not sure what yet)
- Have students write questions anonymously that they would like to ask the docents
- Discuss the impacts of memorials and their significance in today’s society
- How do the events of the past relate to what we are seeing today?