Over the next few classes we will devote time to editing / formatting our DBQs for iTunes publication of a class DBQ collection. Peter will provide instruction in using iBooks Author. Students will use material from their DBQ Design project as the foundation for their contribution to one chapter of the class iBook. Peter will arrange for publication on iTunes with all student work credited. DBQ assignment here.
Project Reflection at Ed Methods
Students willing write a reflection on their DBQ design project. That will be done in the form of a blog post to Ed Methods – due by class time 11/25. Students should be sure to go back and quote their original DBQ post and note how their project evolved over time by answering three questions:
- What were the learning goals of this DBQ – what skills or content did you want students to master?
- To what extent did your final project achieve those goals?
- What did you learn about the DBQ lesson design process? (Note: do not discuss the merits of Learnist. It’s about the teaching not the technology.)
The DBQ design blog post should include an image from their DBQ and a link back to their DBQ on Learnist. This post will introduce their DBQ to the world. Peter will also re-publish their post as a guest blogger at Copy / Paste to broaden the audience for their work.
Class DBQ iBook
As a group, the class will review each other’s work before inclusion in the iBook collection of DBQs. Each student (or team) will contribute one DBQ in the form of a book chapter. It will include the project reflection as a way of introducing the DBQ. Students will collaborate on book design decisions and Peter will include a sample chapter and an introduction to the book.
The iBooks will be designed using iBooks Author in the Mac lab. Students will bring digital versions of their DBQs to the lab – including all image and sound files, text files, citations and URLs. Note: YouTube videos will be inserted into the iBooks using ibooksgenerator.
For more see:
- Sample DBQ in pdf format: Homefront America
- Sample DBQ designed with iBooks Author: Progress and Poverty in Industrial America
- Peter’s posts on iBooks Author
- Peter’s Guide to Publishing with iBooks Author
Image credit: Typesetters working on linotype machines at the Waterford News. Date: Friday, 29 July 1938.
This newspaper was set up in 1848, and is still going strong as the Waterford News and Star in print and online.
National Library of Ireland Ref.: P_WP_4269