- At first glace, what do the two maps have in common? What are some of the differences?
- These two maps were created roughly 20 years apart. With this information, what can we ascertain about who the intended audience for the maps are?
- What can these maps tell us about the scope of both the French-Indochina War and Vietnam War? Were either of these conflicts contained to their respective countries?
- The French-Indochina War was a war fought by Vietnamese Communists to gain independence from France after World War II. How might’ve their strongholds shown on the map above influenced the establishment of the Ho Chi Minh Trail in the subsequent decades?
- What role do you suppose other countries shown on these maps played in both conflicts? Use specific evidence found on the maps.
- From these maps, are there any other conclusions we can draw about the presence of Viet Minh Communists during the French-Indochina War and the areas that were receiving arms, supplies, and personnel from North Vietnam during the U.S.’s engagement during the Vietnam War?
Featured image found on PICRYL.